Frequently Asked Questions


Any currently enrolled student at the University of Kansas who has paid the appropriate student fees is eligible for services.

For teletherapy, you must be in the state of Kansas for each appointment as CAPS therapists and psychiatrists are licensed to practice in the state of Kansas.

Find more information here

  • New Client?
  • Previous Client?
    • If it has been 6 months or more since your last visit at CAPS or your file has been closed, you will need to start the initial consultation process over.
    • If it has been less than 6 months since your last visit at CAPS, please call us (785) 864-2277 to re-establish care with your therapist.

Students come to CAPS with a wide range of problems. Many have issues related to their development such as identity or relationship issues. Others are dealing with more specific psychological issues such as depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress, bereavement, and substance abuse. Some students are not sure what the problem might be but just know they are not functioning or feeling the way they normally do. They might notice having a harder time studying, eating, or sleeping too little or too much, or otherwise just not meeting their day-to-day obligations. A therapist can help students sort out what is wrong to help get students back on track.

  • If you or someone you know is in crisis or has urgent needs, help is available 24/7. During CAPS business hours, drop-in appointments are available by coming into CAPS and letting the front desk know that you need an urgent appointment. After business hours, you can call or text 988 or access any of the resources on our Crisis Support Page

The purpose of the initial consultation is to get to know you and the concerns that brought you to CAPS. During the session, you and your therapist will discuss treatment options and plan for next steps.

  • If the plan is for therapy at CAPS, you will work with the same therapist on an ongoing basis, with the exception of therapists leaving CAPS (for example, some therapists are masters-level interns or doctoral interns and their rotation at CAPS is one year in duration).

If you are under 18, the law requires your parents/guardians to give consent for your treatment. They may also have access to your treatment records.

  • Please call CAPS (785) 864-2277 or stop by our office to initiate a medical records request
  • We will need a signed Release of Information form and verification of your identity. ROI forms can be found:
    • In the CAPS office
    • On the CAPS portal. If you choose to complete the ROI through the portal, you will need to print off the form, complete, sign, and upload back onto the portal. You will also need to upload a copy of your driver's license to verify your identity

CAPS does not write letters for Emotional Support Animals.