Eligibility for Internship
CAPS is a member of the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral Internship Centers (APPIC) and uses that organization’s universal application form (AAPI). CAPS has established minimal criteria for applicants to be considered for our internship program. These criteria are designed to ensure that applicants are sufficiently prepared to begin the internship experience.
The required qualifications include the following:
- APA or CPA accredited program.
- PhD or PsyD program in clinical or counseling psychology.
- Comprehensive exams completed successfully by application deadline.
- Minimum of 200 individual contact hours with adult or adolescent clients.
- Minimum of 300 AAPI intervention hours.
- Minimum of 700 AAPI grand total practicum hours.
- Minimum of 3 years of graduate training.
- Applicant readiness must be verified by the academic training director.
The preferred qualifications include the following:
- Dissertation proposal defended successfully by rank day.
- Course on supervision completed by start of internship.
- Experience providing supervision.
- Experience using video recorded sessions in supervision.
- Course on group therapy completed by start of internship.
- Experience conducting group therapy.